Burning the candle at both ends since 1982.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Nintendo: 1; Me: 0

I unceremoniously ditched my gray, boxy Game Boy as a little girl. The two games I tested, "Kirby's Dream Land" and "The Little Mermaid," proved to be much too difficult for me. Kirby just wouldn't eat clouds fast enough and Ariel was unwieldy and hard to navigate. So, at 25 years of age, I'm a little surprised that the Nintendo DS™ would catch my eye.

My surprise continues, as I've realized I'm just as succeptible to a marketer's whim as the next Jane Doe. I'm a little late on this one, as Jezebel talked about this weeks ago, but I definitely priced the metallic rose model today at $129.99 and thought, hmm, not that bad!

I think this campaign was aimed at the likes of me. America Ferrera, Carrie Underwood and Liv Tyler joined the ad campaign for Nintendo DS, to say to women - "look, video games are fun!" The same women who previously had no interest in gaming, or have had to sit through countless hours of watching guys play Halo, NCAA Football, FIFA or GTA (I'm speaking from experience), and think the gaming realm is an annoyance, not a diversion.

I'm excited to learn through Nintendo DS, I can become fluent in Spanish, play with doggies, and learn new Yoga positions! However, I think I should wait on this purchase. I'm already weighing down my Michael Kors bag with a Canon Elph, iPod and Samsung Blackjack...I think I've already exceeded my personal electronic devices per handbag. Better to wait until I can afford the game/mp3/cell phone/PDA hybrid.

No comments: