Burning the candle at both ends since 1982.

Monday, November 05, 2007

Another Shelter Book Bites the Dust

I hate when I hear about a magazine folding.


It's always so sudden and without much reason but the ever-looming "ad sales" issue. Who cares about the bottom line, I say! (coming from a girl who took the most elementary math classes possible.) Well, I learned today in a staff meeting that House & Garden has bit the dust. I seriously love shelter mags, but they really are in a volatile state these days. Guess they won't be needing this special offer anymore, hmm.
Here's an interesting quote from MindShare in The New York Times piece...

“The category as a whole is so crowded,” said Kelly Foster, senior partner and print director at MindShare North America, a media planning and buying agency that is part of the WPP Group, adding that the magazines “get in each other’s way.”

The article also says House & Garden is one of the country's oldest magazines, as it was founded in 1901. In December, H&G will close its doors and eliminate 80 jobs.

Bum out. I was just really getting on the band wagon after their gorgeous November issue with Gwyneth Paltrow. And H&G really does have such great blogs.

I certainly hope this does not affect Design*Sponge, as so many others do.

Sigh.

No comments: