Burning the candle at both ends since 1982.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Bland is the New Glam

Finally, my love for less-than-classy accomodations has been validated.

I'll say it again and again...I would much rather rest my head on a starched-out pillowcase at the Comfort Inn than deal with an assortment of 300-thread-count ones at a Ritz Carlton.


Apparently, the rest of the world is catching on to my sentiments as well! Trendwatching.com issued five trends to watch and one of them was BLANDTASTIC, a "a paradigm shift of potentially biblical proportions, that has ‘middle of the road' brands salivating, and sophisticated brands worried sick to their designer stomachs: a return to blandness."

Testifying this trend is the Howard Johnson LaGuardia Airport East, who says they're going to start advertising on The Coolhunter, Springwise and Josh Spear. Brian Pillsbury, manager of the Howard Johnson LaGuardia says they're seeing "well-heeled European visitors" and have an occupany rate of 85 percent. Maybe it's due to their inviting graphic to the left and their Web site's bold statement of amenities such as: Non Smoking/1Queen Bed/Work Desk/ Coffee Maker/Iron/Ironing Board/ Hairdryer/HBO.

LOVE IT!

I first noticed my distaste for overdone poshness when I stayed at the Hudson Hotel in New York for a business trip. Lovely, really, but not outfitted with all the comforts I'd been used to on my economic personal travels. I don't get a USA Today under my door and there's no Coffeemate. But I do have free toiletries branded by some bourgeoise spa and a plasma TV screen embedded into my bathroom mirror.

But on a second glance throughout the room, I wonder, where are the light switches? They are cleverly hidden into lighting gizmos that are more like art installations. Where's my comfy armchair covered in bronze damask fabric? Why is the closet the size of a medicine cabinet? And, why can't I order anything off the room service menu that doesn't come with "pommes frites" (Hi, you're just a French fry....), heirloom tomatoes or some sort of intense cheese?

The same experience befell me on another business trip to the Hotel Roosevelt in Hollywood. And the W Los Angeles...maybe it's that I feel uncomfortable and undeserving of people waiting on me hand and foot, or maybe I'm indignant about the $24 room service breakfast. Either way, I am interested in this backlash against overindulgence and am curious to see where marketers take this idea. I'm so not into backlash for backlash's sake, but this really appeals to my budget, so I'm going with it!

***Haha. Joke is on me. These apparently were fake trends. I'm still sticking by my love of the HoJo though!! :)

No comments: