Burning the candle at both ends since 1982.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Ruminations on The Windy City

I don't usually post personal thoughts, but I figured since I'm on the road, it might be a little interesting at least. So here goes.

Here I am, my first night ever in Chicago and I'm blogging on my friend's Mac laptop at 12:30 a.m. Her boyfriend and his friend have left for other exciting things (a.k.a. Jameson on the rocks and bars) and my friend has gone to bed for work, so I'm left with ESPN and Blogger.

Although I do have to say there are a few intriguing things I must note about this city. First and foremost, I am in shock about how easy this city is to drive around. I was fully expecting a near breakdown when I took my rental car on I-90 into the city...but seriously, this place feels like Orange County with skyscrapers in terms of the traffic.

Secondly, this city smells GOOD. I smell barbeque and chocolate everywhere. Apparently there is a chocolate factory around here. That would seriously drive me to eat boxes of chocolate every day, so good thing I don't live here. Jen and her BF Dave actually made a really funny joke. You gain a bunch of weight from bar food here in Chicago. But what about the factor of walking everywhere?, I asked. Ah. Yes. You have very buff calves, but still have a beer belly. Ha.

The girls here dress up so much that I feel like a bum. It's this style I am not used to - very put together, very prissy, with TONS of cleavage and clubwear. Very matchy matchy. I couldn't compete with that. Maybe it's the neighborhood we're in? Kind of reminds me of the crowd in the Marina in San Francisco, but a little less douchey.

Also of note is the "Kiss 'n' Fly" lot at Chicago O'Hare Airport. How cute! I tend to just put my car into park and force my passenger out as quickly as possible, but in Chicago there's also some affection involved when you drop off a loved one at the airport.

Tomorrow there is talk of brunch and watching football. This city is SO sports-oriented it's not even funny...I can tell that in less than one day of being here.

1 comment:

Nadia Yvette said...

more chi town posts! pleeeassse.