Burning the candle at both ends since 1982.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

You demand more about Chicago...well, okay.

So my adoring public demands more Chicago blog posts. Who am I to deny such a privilege as to read my random thoughts on traveling? Ha! So here goes.

However, I am a horrible blogger because I only have one lonely photo documenting my trip, and this a very blurry one taken from my rental car of Wrigley Field that you see to your left. Enjoy.


I was thinking a lot the other day of trade offs, pros and cons and the "grass in greener" effect when it comes to traveling and moving. I don't think there is one idyllic place to live, even though many would say that's Southern California. Yes, but we definitely pay the Sunshine Tax and go through mild heart attacks on the 405 daily.

So in the winter in Chicago you may never see the light of day and your face can crack open and bleed because it's so cold. But you have really fun bars, a great sports atmosphere, museums, Lake Michigan and lots of red meat! I think it's all what you choose to make of your situation. Like my good (newly) Chicagoan friend Jenn said, "what you feed will grow." So if you have a bad attitude about where you're at in life, you're going to hate wherever you are.

That being said, I think I need to visit this city during the wintertime to fully understand Chicagoland. I found myself duly unprepared for my dinner outing with my sweater dress...and no tights or leggings. Jenn and I went to Mambo Grill for dinner which was hilarious. I'm in Chicago to order a mojito and guacamole? And we definitely took a cab to go one block because it was raining and cold.

Other places I've frequented are Halligan Bar in Lincoln Park for some football and great bloody marys (note to self though - scary New York Giants fans are everywhere) and a bar across the street where we instantly met other another Mission Viejo native. Wow - OC transplants are everywhere, too! My favorite areas by far are Southport and Old Town...that I've been able to see. The houses in these areas are adorable and already decked out for Halloween with Martha Stewart-esque pumpkins and cobwebs.


My lovely friend Jenn manages the Anthropologie on Southport so I was able to drool for an extended amount of time over $300 jackets and dresses. After her shift we went over to this little cute bar, Messners Wrigley Grille, which was decorated so cute for Halloween, similar to how you see it here.


I also ventured out to Evanston, Skokie and a scary part of Chicago as well so I feel very well rounded. I must come back, however, to do things that do not involve the following:

- Eating

- Drinking

- ......


However my Chicago friends insist that I got the true taste of Chicago by skulking in a dark bar all Sunday, shouting at the TVs over a $2 burger and a $2 Miller Lite. My kind of town! Except...they really could have had a $2 Bud Light, I mean come on.

2 comments:

Nadia Yvette said...

i love it. except there are only two REAL passtimes in chicago:

1. eating
2.drinking

if you do enough of 1 you can try...

3.smoking, (indoors)

GOD BLESS THE USAAAAAA!!!!

maude said...

i love it! i was JUST thinking about this...i think i can love everywhere i live. i hate when people say that california sucks. sure, sometimes it catches on fire. but it's just as cool as other places.

i love your blog, btw. very fun to read. let me know when your exciting life takes you to sf! or...we should get a drink when i come down for thanksgiving.

love,
ally